Friday, July 13, 2012

Peanuts, stuffed animals, and floods. Oh my!

I just texted a couple of friends who seemed to find the events that occurred in our lives today just hilarious and it occurred to me that I hadn't posted in my blog here for quite some time and they would at least be entertaining stories for those you not living in our home today. So, last weekend while the boys were having a fun sleepover at my parents house, I had the opportunity to clean the car. I was scared, because I was afraid of what type of lifeform might emerge from the backseat. But I was hopeful that the super vacume at the car wash would suck up whatever was living back there before it got me. So I closed my eyes and hoped for the best and then had a very nice clean car...until today. I stopped home on the way from work, started the washer, and went to pick up the kids. They were bouncing off the walls since I had told them they could go to McDonald's for dinner tonight. Have you ever been to Texas Roadhouse? The place with the shelled peanuts that are strewn all over the floor? Well, when I opened up the back seat of the car when we arrived at McDonald's 20 minutes later, that is exactly what it looked like. And I flipped out about the mess and then it occurred to me....where in the world did shelled peanuts come from and how did they get in the car? But apparently this remains a mystery, because no one could explain it. No one knew. It's like they fell from the sky randomly into our very rarely clean car....like happy shelled peanut fate. On top of that, why is my kid eating random peanuts that came from nowhere. Apparently, this is a mystery not meant to be understood on this day because all I saw were confused looks when I asked where did peanuts come from and why a person would eat random food that came from nowhere. I just decided not to think about it anymore because I just kept coming up with more and more unlikely explanations and decided to just deal the next hurdle, dinner. We all enjoyed McDonald's and I introduced the boys to some old school Sesame Street tunes that I loved...this is our favorite: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xr8vUTm64h0 I'm still rockin' out to it now as the kids are (hopefully) sleeping. It just doesn't get old! So then we returned home. I put the kids to bed and went to fold laundary That's when I discovered my basement was flooded. And I noticed the sink connected to the washer had overflowed. And when I investigated, I found two little stuffed animals lodged into the drain. Since I didn't put them there and since, as far as I know, they didn't walk, I asked the boys. They explained that they had given them a bath down there and forgotten them. That's when I explained what an eviction notice was and that the animals had just received one and would be relocating to a new home where they would not be bathed in places they had no business being in the first place, then forgotten. There were lots of tears and, please oh please, I hope, a lesson learned. So now I am here, getting ready to write a million reports and enjoying the relative peace of the moment and being grateful that we have a roof over our heads, food to eat, and everyone survived yet another day. Other than that, life is actually quite good here. The boys love summer camp. I love the boys and my job. And all is very pleasantly peaceful. Sending happy thoughts of an evening devoid of random traveling peanuts and fluffy animal induced floods to each of you! :) <3

1 comment:

Karen (but sometimes Chris) said...

I just realized you were blogging again, so now I can catch up on your life. So sorry about the flooded basement; unfortunately I know all too well how that goes.
I love you and your little gremlin boys. They are too precious!