Sunday, April 15, 2012

A different kind of happily ever after...

So, the serendipitous single mama returns. My Uncle Mark told me I need to either stay away from guys or "start batting for the other team," which still cracks me up when think of his sensible advice. :) It's funny how life turns out sometimes. I always envisioned myseslf in a happy marriage with kids running around. It is something I have wanted from the bottom of my heart and have done my best to make happen. I seem to lack the skills to make sensible relationship choices, with a few happy exceptions. Or maybe I just suck at marriage...it's also a possibility. Either way, I am not a fan of making people unhappy nor do I want to continue the cycle of putting my family, my darling boys, and myself through the heartache and disappointment of "relationships gone wild." So, I have decided that that it would be best to embrace my single mama-hood and create a happy life for the kids and I. Anyway, with a fantastic family and awesome girlfriends, it seems pretty easy to do at this point. We have begun our new lives! I bought a house, which Nick tells me he picked out for us. ;) He picked a perfect one, I think. We have our own little single family home on a tree-lined street, friendly neighbors, and an actual backyard. I returned to working full time, but am now working as a contractor. Which means that I technicially own my own busniness and get to set my own hours and am able to take off from work when the kids have off or when I just want to take some extra time to love on them. I do all of my contracting for the same agency, for a friend I used to work with at a former job, who is a rockin' director. I LOVE my job! I do mental health assessments and treatment recommendations for people in prison and/or on probation and then on other days I do individual and group counseling for those in recovery from addiction. I have awesome clients and a different job each day of the week, which keeps things fun and interesting. I get to work from home for a portion of my job, which means I get to pick the kids up earlier and can work while they sleep too. I have to say, it truly feels serendipitous how everything has worked out and I feel very lucky that we are all okay and settling in our new lives. The boys are doing really well. Nick is 6 and is finishing his first grade year and Michael is 4 and going to pre-school at a daycare, which he loves. Nick is dropped off and picked up by the same daycare as they have extended school services, so that the boys get to be together more often, which I know, deep down, they enjoy. :) Seriously though, they get along very well when they are not antagonizing each other or having "a war" as they like to call it. Luckily, they get along much more than not. Not so luckily, they have learned that they can put their skills together and create even more chaos when the mood strikes them. They both love biking, climbing, being outside, and exploring new places. They recently were able to visit NC and see their Me-Mom and Pe-Pop with their Daddy and were also able to spend time with their aunts, uncles, and cousins, which I am glad they were able to do! They had a great time and I have enjoyed seeing the pictures of all of their sweet cousins getting so big and even cuter! :) I will try to post regularly to keep those interested updated on our lives and our adventures. The boys still get into all sorts of trouble that seem hilarious in retrospect. I feel like I laugh most of the day anymore and just feel lucky and blessed for all we have in our lives.

No comments: