Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Why I Will Not Win Mom of the Year

Over the weekend, the boys, their Nonna and Pop, and I went the the Elmwood Park Zoo. We had a wonderful time! And we spent Sunday morning at an amazing castle playground in North Wales, with a Single Parents Group we are a part of. It was so much fun! But what brought me here this evening was a magazine that my mama picked up from the zoo. It was one of those free ones they give out and the topic was moms. I was actually really impressed! The articles were great, they even had information aimed towards single mamas, which I appreciated! The section I liked best was 'Why I Will Not Win Mom of the Year." Moms wrote in stories that I found hilarious, but maybe others would find horrifying, and I could relate. So, here is my own:

Why I Will Not Win Mom of the Year :

Many months ago when I was trying to figure out how to get out out of the house on time (which I still don't manage to do on a regular basis, by the way), I found that if I dressed my kids in their clothes for the next day instead of PJs, it cut out many minutes every morning. I am not sure my kids know what pajamas are anymore.





As you can see, once I just skipped the clothes all together! Just kidding...at least for this week! :)


  • I let my kids eat food off of the floor after it falls. I rationalize it by saying I am building their immune systems and have faith when I tell them to kiss it up to God, that God will bless the food and remove anything that could harm them from it.

  • I told Nick if he ever touched the window in his room ever, ever again, the police would come and give him a ticket and probably take him to jail...although it HAS been effective.

I guess most people bathe their kids every night. I find that to be very impressive due to the amount of time it takes and the mess bathing 2 wiggly, soggy, splashy children make. I bathe my kids if they start smelling weird or if there is something I can't identify stuck on their hair or body. Other than that, I figure if they smell clean, it's good enough for me.

Example of when I might bathe one of my kids.





  • I am months behind on Michael's immunizations. I attempted to take him many months ago but ironically missed the appointment because the kids were sick and I was so distracted that I forgot. A sweet little girl that the kids play with was exposed to whooping cough at school which is one of those things that immunizations provide protection from. We have an appointment on Friday and I am just praying we don't contract any weird diseases or illnesses between now or then.


Nick thinks when he is acting up, I am going to eat him. Really. I used to tell him I was going to beat him if he didn't behave. Because I never have, he doesn't know what the word means and just assumed I was saying I was going to eat him. Instead of explaining that I would never, under circumstance, eat him. I still tell him I'll beat him, he still thinks I am saying I am going to eat him, and his eyes get wide and he settles down pretty much every time.








  • Sometimes I feed my kids ice cream for dinner.



  • I still lock Nick's door to his room every night so he can't escape. That just sounds like bad parenting, but really, I am more scared of what will happen if I don't and he conducts another experiment at 2 AM.


  • When Nick whines, I pretend that he is speaking a foreign language that I can't understand so I don't have to respond. I wish his whining was a foreign language that I couldn't understand...or hear at all. Or maybe that it could translate into some sort of silent language, like Braille. On the positive side, he then eventually stops.


  • Michael calls every animal a dog. Cows, elephants, birds...all of them are dogs. I used to try to tell him the correct names for things, but having a world filled with dogs makes him happy, so now I point to birds and say, 'dog...woof, woof' and he is ecstatic. I know it's wrong, but if something that little gives him so much happiness, I certainly don't want to be the one to break the news to him.


And here I took a picture instead of intervening when Nick tried to feed Michael to a hippo at the aquarium. :) Actually he was trying to show Michael the hippo, but Michael was too impressed and distracted by the winged "dogs" flying through the air.

















And I am realizing I could probably go on indefinitely here, but I am hearing some very loud thumping from upstairs and should probably go and investigate. Especially because now it is being followed by giggling. That can't be good!

Have a happy evening!

5 comments:

Greta said...

I don't know whether to laugh or be disturbed.:) I will say your kids are having a lot more fun than mine are... as we all know I'm the rule follower to extremes and feel like if I break one I've committed a crime. It has to be fun to be Nick and Michael. Maybe the J's will get to hang out with them again soon! You are too far away!
LOVE YOU

Unknown said...

Hi Anne! I got a good laugh at this blog! I have to admit that I do some of the same things you do...especially the p.j. thing..heck it's not like they are going to get there clothes dirty while there sleeping plus it saves soooo much time in the morning. I've also sent them to daycare in there jammies and just sent along clothes for there teachers to change them into. And I have to give credit to mother's who have the time/patience to give two wiggling, slippery, splashy kids a bath every night...every other night works just as well.
We used the police thing to get Andrew to behave a few times...especially at church..we told him the altar boys where "church police" and he had to behave or he would go to church jail and he believed us so we went with it
So know your not alone out there.
Love,
Terri

Julie said...

Anne!! I just read this :) I can't tell you how much I miss you! Tons of hugs and kisses to all of you from The Appletons

Anonymous said...

Anne- I love your writing and honesty. Maybe you can start a book...I would buy it!


I wish the threat of eating Aidan would calm him but nothing works...really nothing.

Miss you and love the updates!
Andie

Karen (but sometimes Chris) said...

I was going to send you a "Greatest Mom of the Year" care package for Mother's Day, 'cause you of all people should really be celebrated. However, I'm a slacker and missed another officially-sanctioned opportunity to tell you how much you're loved-- again. Someday I'll get the hang of things and actually follow through. I admire your ability to wrangle 2 little rascals. I often have trouble keeping my 1 little precious under control. Love you!